Metamask is a popular cryptocurrency wallet and browser extension that allows users to interact with decentralized applications (DApps) on various blockchains. Flare Network is a smart contract platform that aims to bring smart contract functionality to non-Turing complete blockchains, including the XRP Ledger. Integrating Flare Network into Metamask enables users to access and manage their Flare-based assets seamlessly. In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to add Flare Network to Metamask.
Prerequisites Before you proceed, make sure you have the following:
- Metamask extension installed in your browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, or Brave).
- An existing Metamask wallet with funds or create a new one.
- Familiarity with basic cryptocurrency concepts.
Step 1: Open Metamask
Launch your web browser and click on the Metamask extension icon located in the top right corner of your browser. If you haven’t installed it, download it from the official Metamask website and set up a new account or import an existing one.
Step 2: Access Settings
Once Metamask is open, click on the avatar icon in the top right corner of the extension to access the main menu. From the menu, click on “Settings.”
Step 3: Network Selection
In the settings menu, navigate to the “Networks” tab. This is where you can add and manage custom networks.
Step 4: Add Custom Network
Scroll down until you find the “Add Network” button. Click on it to add the Flare Network details.
Step 5: Network Configuration
You’ll need to input the network details for Flare Network. Flare Network operates on the XRP Ledger, so it’s an XRP-compatible network.
- Network Name: Enter “Flare Network” or any name you prefer.
- New RPC URL: Use the Flare Network’s RPC endpoint, which can be obtained from the official Flare Network documentation or website.
- Chain ID: Flare Network’s Chain ID, usually a numerical value unique to the network.
- Symbol: The symbol of the native currency used on the Flare Network, which is “XRP” in this case.
- Block Explorer URL: Add the block explorer URL for Flare Network. This will enable you to view transaction details on a blockchain explorer. Again, you can get this information from the Flare Network’s official resources.
Step 6: Save and Connect
After entering the network details, click on “Save” to save the configuration. The Flare Network will now be added to your Metamask.
Step 7: Selecting Flare Network
To use Flare Network, return to the Metamask main screen by clicking the Metamask icon. In the top right corner, click on the network name (probably “Ethereum Mainnet” by default) and select “Flare Network” from the drop-down menu.
Step 8: Confirmation
A prompt will appear, warning you that you are about to connect to an untrusted network. Since Flare Network is relatively new, this warning is normal. Click “Connect” if you are sure you have entered the correct network details.
Step 9: Accessing Flare Assets
Once connected to Flare Network, you can access your Flare-based assets. To add any custom Flare-based tokens to your Metamask, you need to provide the token contract address manually. This can be done through the “Add Token” feature in Metamask.
Step 10: Managing Flare Assets
With Flare Network added to Metamask, you can now manage your Flare-based assets, interact with DApps on the Flare Network, and send/receive funds as you would with any other network supported by Metamask.
By following these steps, you have successfully added Flare Network to your Metamask extension. Always exercise caution when dealing with new networks and tokens. Ensure that you are using official resources and verified contracts when interacting with the Flare Network to protect yourself from potential scams. Enjoy using Flare Network and exploring its unique features with the convenience of Metamask!